If you are ever tempted to get your toddler of 2 or 3 to have an ADHD test, think again. If your doctor is telling you that this is a possibility, then think even more about this. Wait a few years or seek a specialist’s opinion if you really have to.
Here are some alarming facts about diagnosing children with ADHD:
- 10,000 toddlers are being medicated right now in the USA for a ‘supposed’ attention deficit disorder!
- A child of 9 may display some attention deficit disorder symptoms which are completely normal behavior in a two year old. Most toddlers will outgrow all this hyperactivity. It is simply too early to get a diagnosis or even think about this condition.
- The AmericanAcademy of Paediatrics have ruled that Ritalin and Adderall are only suitable for kids of 4 and upwards. These drugs are just not suitable for babies or toddlers.
- The CDC has raised the alarm in that an excessive number of doctors are incorrectly diagnosing thousands of children with the disorder. Louisiana has got the unenviable record of having 4.7% of the population on stimulant medication. The Medicaid prescriptions in Louisiana for 9 year old kids on psychostimulant meds was 22%
What the health authorities hope to do.
This problem is getting out of hand and now far too many children are getting a quick fire diagnosis. They are also being put on medication immediately and if that was not enough, there are now far too many toddlers in the mix who should not be there at all!
Health authorities are now belatedly trying to make doctors, parents, teachers and caregivers aware of the following :-
- Diagnosing children with ADD is complicated and can result in many mistakes
- There are alternative treatments
- Behavior therapy or simple effective parenting skills should be at the top of the list and may well be used in conjunction with the meds or simply as a stand alone option. Many experts say this should be tried first before the meds.
- Parents can easily set up an ADHD friendly home where routines and structures are simple and effective to follow
- Equipping kids with life coping skills is done over a long period of time. Teachers, parents and caregivers should all be liaising on this one and working as a team.
Diagnosing your children with ADHD needs time and experts
- Children mature at different ages so comparison with siblings is risky and not useful
- Generally, diagnosing this condition can only be correctly done when the kids are between 4 and 9 years
- Many medical conditions such as eyesight, middle ear problems, thyroid, sleep disorders and other childhood conditions mimic ADD. These are just a few of them!
- The child specialist (or paediatrician) will need to gather all the information she can from teachers, babysitters, and parents. There is no single ADHD test. Information is gathered from a variety of sources and questionnaires may be used. It takes time, but it is worth your while getting an accurate diagnosis. Who wants a child to be mislabelled for life just because an over anxious parent or doctor wanted to rush into diagnosing without a proper test using questionnaires, the DSMV.
- Family medical history, childhood traumas, difficulties in pregnancy plus assessment of a possible learning disorder have all got to be considered.
- The specialist when diagnosing the condition will also look at performance at school, and also when and where the problem behaviors take place before making a decision.
Read up more on ADHD
Now, if a family doctor is about to prescribe stimulant medication for your three years old after a ten minute consultation, you now know what to do by following the advice in this post. Click here to learn about effective, natural treatment forADHD.
Misbehaviors Driving You Crazy
From Parenting Expert Amy McCready
A Step-By-Step Process That Really Works. Free Trial!